"I believe in equal access to the courts and each citizen's obligation to obey, honor, and sustain the law." --Chris Bevans

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Kind of Judge I Want to Be: An Encouraging Influence

I remember vividly my first 12-person criminal jury trial.  I was a relatively new attorney and though I felt prepared, I was still nervous.  The judge treated both attorneys with professionalism and respect,  even though we were both new, which made me feel more at ease.  The trial went smoothly and the jury returned their verdict.  Then, after the jury was excused, the judge addressed both attorneys and offered to review our individual performance, if we desired.  Anxious to improve myself and interested to know what he thought, I called and set up a time with him. The experience was one of the most influential and priceless of my legal career.  He went over his notes and shared a few suggestions on ways I might improve and then took the time to praise the areas in which he felt I excelled.  I left his office with my head held high.  Even now I am still profoundly affected by that experience.   I remember that as the moment my desire to be a judge went from a childhood dream to a professional possibility. He showed me a clear example of how valuable it is to earn respect by showing good judgement and an encouraging influence to those in the courtroom rather than intimidation and condescension. That's the kind of judge I want to be.

1 comment: